Have you ever built a house with lego? What if you could live in one?
Such houses rest on the curves of the Himalayas, made from stone, wood and mud.
We realise just how tiny we really are when we see these homes twinkling like stars from afar, and we zoom into our lives which revolve in these tiny corners. Such is this moment of an abode, in Hamta Valley (located only 7 km from the Manali Mall Road).
A fusion of old and new, this is Footloose Camps’ backpacker hostel for you…
This 100-year-old Himachali Kath Kuni house was converted into a backpacker hostel when, very consciously, we came up with a thought.
Most tourists who visit Kullu-Manali end up living in new age guesthouses —something that feels just as regular as any hotel anywhere else in the world. So we decided to offer something different.
We rented a nearly 100-year-old abandoned Himachali Kath Kuni house (where 3 generations have lived before) and converted it into a backpacker hostel and a campsite.
For more photos of the inside of the dormitory rooms, privates and tents, please visit our Instagram Channel Footloose Camps, especially for night photos.
Did we tell you, it is possible to see the milky way from Footloose Camps, during the new moon?
For those who don’t know…‘Kath Kuni’ is derived from two words, ‘kath’, meaning wood in Sanskrit, and ‘kona’, which means corner. Characterised by the layered interlocking of wood-and-stone, the stone plinth, double-skinned walls, and intricate wooden carvings, Kath Kuni architectural structures, native to Himachal Pradesh, are the epitome of beauty. More technical gibberish for when you will visit us !!
To make it better, we found ourselves surrounded by a 200-tree apple orchard and nothing else.
We offer a mix of private rooms, dorms and tents (2-men/ 3-men and 5-men tents).
We do have wifi, a hot shower, an in-house cafe, and other things you can expect in a hotel.
And yes, we do organise activities (trekking, paragliding, river-rafting, and winter activities like snowboarding, skiing, winter Gypsy rides, and Igloo stay, among others).
25th December Christmas Eve…
- 1 Bed in our 4-bed dormitory: INR 2,000 per night (including Dinner & Breakfast).
- 1 Bed in our 2-bed dormitory: INR 2,200 per night (including Dinner & Breakfast).
- Private Room: INR 4,800 per night for twin sharing / INR 3,600 per night for single occupancy (including Dinner & Breakfast).
- Tent: INR 4,800 per night for triple sharing / INR 3,600 per night for twin sharing / INR 2,500 for single occupancy (including Dinner & Breakfast).
New Year (30th and 31st December): Please visit this page
- 1 Bed in our 4-bed dormitory: INR 1,500 per night (including Dinner & Breakfast).
- 1 Bed in our 2-bed dormitory: INR 1,800 per night (including Dinner & Breakfast).
- Private Room: INR 4,200 per night for twin sharing / INR 2,900 per night for single occupancy (including Dinner & Breakfast).
- Tent: INR 4,500 per night for triple sharing / INR 3,600 per night for twin sharing / INR 2,000 for single occupancy (including Dinner & Breakfast).